Kentucky Chess Association

The USCF state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Tournament Announcements > Blue Grass State Games (2013

Stephen Dillard

I have directed the Blue Grass State Games for many years.  The format has not changed in quite a while.  Winchester has expressed a desire to host the event again.  As an organizer, I am extremely happy with Winchester.  There is always set up and take down help.  Plenty of volunteers help the day go weil.  The site  is large enough for growth.

I have lots of room to work with the tournament format.  I cannot change the entry fee.  But number of rounds, time controls. break down of prizes, location, are within my control.

There is also room for a new director if anyone is interested in replacing me.  I am willing and happy to continue, but the event is actually a KCA sponsored event.  The women's championship is the KCA women's champion.  So I do serve at the will of the Officer Corp of the KCA. 

This event is responsible for tremendous adult recruitment into chess.  There is a corp of players that are rated and only play this event yearly. 

So, I am looking for input. From the KCA, does the leadership in KCA want more input?  Are you happy with the current direction?  Do you wish me to continue as TD and representative to the Games for KCA?

Player input.  Are there things in the format that you like or dislike? What would you keep?  What would you change?

Never tried the state games?  What could encourage you to try?

Thanks,

Steve

July 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"Jerry" Weldin

Steve always does a great job at the Bluegrass State Games; he is particularly good with the kids. I do have a few comments on the Bluegrass Games in general.

The Kentucky Woman's Championship needs to be separated from the Bluegrass. When the defending Champion opts to play elsewhere it is an indication that something is wrong. 

Other KCA sponsored events should not be scheduled at the same time. Even out of state players realized this hurt the Bluegrass State Games. 

And lastly; the games should be rotated (if possible) to the different Chess Cities within the state. Winchester is not the Mecca of KY Chess and it is just as far for the rest of us to go to Winchester as it would be for them to attend elsewhere.

August 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

"Jerry" Weldin

Steve always does a great job at the Bluegrass State Games; he is particularly good with the kids. I do have a few comments on the Bluegrass Games in general.

The Kentucky Woman's Championship needs to be separated from the Bluegrass. When the defending Champion opts to play elsewhere it is an indication that something is wrong. 

Other KCA sponsored events should not be scheduled at the same time. Even out of state players realized this hurt the Bluegrass State Games. 

And lastly; the games should be rotated (if possible) to the different Chess Cities within the state. Winchester is not the Mecca of KY Chess and it is just as far for the rest of us to go to Winchester as it would be for them to attend elsewhere.

August 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

The Women's Champ has been held at the Bluegrass Games ever since it's inception.  Just look at our Junior Championship to see the disaster of a seperate weekend.  The Junior's 6-player round-robin was almost reduced to 4-players because of lack of interest.  Maybe the Junior should be held at the Bluegrass Games also?

As far as moving the playing site around, it sounds like a fair idea.  My opinion is it should stay out of Lexington and Louisville.  This would be a great tournament to cycle through cities like Winchester, E-town, and Bowling Green.

Please take my opinion of anything above very lightly since I haven't played in the Games for many years and Dillard has been the super organizer of the Games forever.  I'm not familiar with the organizing details in any way.

With that all said, I would like to thank and commend Dillard and Frank Walls for their continued success in running the Games.

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

August 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

J FARRELL

JerryBaker at August 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM

The Women's Champ has been held at the Bluegrass Games ever since it's inception.  Just look at our Junior Championship to see the disaster of a seperate weekend.  The Junior's 6-player round-robin was almost reduced to 4-players because of lack of interest.  Maybe the Junior should be held at the Bluegrass Games also?

As far as moving the playing site around, it sounds like a fair idea.  My opinion is it should stay out of Lexington and Louisville.  This would be a great tournament to cycle through cities like Winchester, E-town, and Bowling Green.

Please take my opinion of anything above very lightly since I haven't played in the Games for many years and Dillard has been the super organizer of the Games forever.  I'm not familiar with the organizing details in any way.

With that all said, I would like to thank and commend Dillard and Frank Walls for their continued success in running the Games.

I played the BGSG this year and enjoyed the experience.  Steve did a find job although there was enough going on that he likely could have used a hand.  

do we need to add an incentive to being the junior champion or the women's champion, I mean more than bragging rights?  does it make sense to give them a free entry into the KY Open or even a seat in the KY Closed championship?  Since Taylor qualified for both the Junior and the KY CLosed championship, it's hard to argue that the juniors aren't qualified to be in the Closed champ.

what would be an effective incentive??

August 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"Jerry" Weldin

In response to Jerry Baker regarding the KY Women's Championship:  Just because it's always been done that way doesn't necessarily make it right. When a strong woman player is forced to "play down" and the pairing have to be manipulated so she plays all the "schoolastic women" it cheapens the title. Both the KY Closed and the Junior Championships are seeded thru results in the KY Open; why should we treat the woman different? 

August 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ryan P Miller

I don't know what reasons why the various junior players were unable to attend the Junior Closed, but it seems that more and more HS and even college students are doing more things during the June and July months--family trips, camps (as advisors, too!), etc. Would pushing the event to later in July, or even early August be of any help? The other side of the coin, of course, is that the grade schools are starting earlier every year, which may cause similar problems in some cases. My greater concern is for college qualifiers going to school out-of-state who, once they are back in school, cannot feasably attend. Perhaps the latest this event would be able to be held is the first weekend of August.

I could and may very well be way off with this suggestion... I've never had the opportunity to participate in any of the larger summer tournaments this state has to offer. I'd really like to make it to BGSG next year.

-Ryan

--

August 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fwalls

Although Winchester enjoys having the BGSGs there, I agree with Jerry and think it would be good to rotate this event in different areas of the state.  As far as I know the venue hasn't been reserved for 2013 BGSGs, so if it is to be somewhere other than Winchester - then someone will need to contact Steve and the BGSG organizers to set something up.  If nothing happens in this regards, I plan to make arrangements in Winchester again (if they'll have us) - but I will wait until January 2013 to do so to give the next venue time to grab it.

I heard several postive comments during the 2012 BGSGs as far as the locale and the venue itself. As always, Steve does a great job with TD'ing and makes it fun and positive.  

Our club has benefitted as a result also. We were able to sell enough pop and candy to pay for our website for 2 more years.  Thanks to all who made purchasing in support of this - and those who also gave a little extra!  Also, in our last three chess sessions, we have averaged over 20 players! (and these sessions are not even tournament related)  

p.s.  we are looking forward to starting our second year of the Winchester Scholastic Chess League in September.  We had a good year of this last year and looking forward to even a better year this year. Last year we only rated the K3 section (with JTP option). This year we will be rating all sections.

--

leader of the Winchester Chess Club

http://www.WinChesster.com

August 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steff C

I think having the Women's championship at the Games is okay. With only 1-3 women showing up over the past few years, why change it? Steve works hard to promote chess in KY and I certainly have benefitted from his hard work and have enjoyed every tournament I've played in, despite my lousy chess skills. By the way, who started this discussion? Was it a woman? I haven't heard any complaints from any women chess players around here. All two of us!!! LOL Thanks Steve, Alan, and others who have worked so hard to TD and organize tournaments so the rest of us can have fun. It's a true gift and I appreciate it.

--

August 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen Priest

Ryan P Miller at August 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I don't know what reasons why the various junior players were unable to attend the Junior Closed, but it seems that more and more HS and even college students are doing more things during the June and July months--family trips, camps (as advisors, too!), etc. Would pushing the event to later in July, or even early August be of any help? The other side of the coin, of course, is that the grade schools are starting earlier every year, which may cause similar problems in some cases. My greater concern is for college qualifiers going to school out-of-state who, once they are back in school, cannot feasably attend. Perhaps the latest this event would be able to be held is the first weekend of August.

I could and may very well be way off with this suggestion... I've never had the opportunity to participate in any of the larger summer tournaments this state has to offer. I'd really like to make it to BGSG next year.

-Ryan

If oyu move the junior closed to early August then you will force the Denker and Barber - and perhaps the new Girls tournament of state champions rep - to decie between the junior closed and the national events.

I think the main theing is to get the dates set NOW. Then you can promote those dates as the juniors qualify. Also have more qualify from the state scholastic championship. Finally the prize fund for the junior was cut significantly this year. It had been the same as the Ky Cosed for several years. that can make a difference too. I'm not saying it should be the same amount, but cut the prize fund and don't set a solid date and you have a recipe for a problem.

September 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fwalls

The 2013 Bluegrass State Games organization has slated the games on 4 consecutive weekends starting July 12-14.  The event has been in Winchester the past two years.  Any other club or group in Kentucky should make theirselves known if they'd like to host it this year.  They need to contact Steve Dillard soon about this.

--

January 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fwalls

Things are set now.  The Bluegrass State Games will be in Winchester again this year.  The date will be July the 20th. 

http://www.bgsg.com/chess

Players from neighboring states can compete if their state does not offer a chess event in their state games.

USCF membership is not required, but the event will be rated with the USCF. If you do not already have a USCF membership number, you will be provided with one.

This year we will register inside the Gym, then non-scholastic sections will be played a short walk across the street at the College Park Library Building.  Non-scholastic competitors will play downstairs in the library, and skittles upstairs.  Scholastic competitors will be playing in the gym.

--

March 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.