Kentucky Chess Association

The USCF state affiliate for all of Kentucky.

Chess Talk

Forum Home > Chess Discussion > New to Chess

SarahHampton

Hi... I am new to Kentucky... I am looking for a place to play chess if I get any time available off of work... I live closer to Lexington but I am in Louisville most of the month... can anyone help me?
Sarah

February 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Lexington Chess Club meets on Wednesday nights starting at 8pm.

Free to play.

Tates Creek Golf Course Meeting Room

1400 Gainesway Dr

Stop by or call for more information, Jerry Baker, 859.806.0637

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

February 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahHampton

Thank you... I will try to make it sometime soon... Is Lexington the only place with chess or does Louisville have chess? I can see that Louisville has a lot of chess events for children... but I do not have children.

February 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ken McDonald

Louisville has G30 chess every Monday and Thursday night.  Check the Tournament Calendar for time and location.

February 13, 2013 at 12:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JerryBaker

Louisville has chess. They just aren't very good at playing it. :D

--

Lexchess.com - Open chess tournament information

February 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

Sarah,  I am Steve Dillard.  I direct the Monday and Thursday tournaments   Look forward to you stopping by.   Ignoring Lexchess comment.  Did not even see it.  There is a rumor that Texas wants to annex Fayette County. 

February 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahHampton

I will try to go soon Steve... do I just show up and play? I get the sense that Lexington and Louisville like to play against each other and that Lexington is better... according to Jerry Baker.
Sarah

February 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fwalls

Hi Sarah.  Since Winchester is close to Lex., then you may also want to see about the club in Winchester.  We have free sessions the 1st and 3rd Monday of ea. month at 15 Wheeler Ave.  We also have Open section tournaments from time to time.  Next Sat., 2/23 is our next one.  E-town also has a tourney the same day.  (not trying to compete with them or anyone, just giving more options out there in the state)   www.WinChesster.com for more info.

We'd be glad of course to see you if you have a chance.  Frank

February 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

"Jerry" Weldin

Sarah, as you have found out by now there are many "chess venues" in Kentucky. You will be welcome at any of the club's and find genuinly great folks and challenging chess at all of them. Should you be available to play on weekends, the Elizabethtown Chess Club (35 miles south of L-ville) holds a USCF rated tournament on the 4th Saturday of each month. You can check us out at http://etownchess.blogspot.com/ . We are the home of the Kentucky Woman's Champion and have players of all strengths.

I would recommend that you try to attend the Kentucky Open and the Blue Grass State Games this summer. Good luck, Kentucky Chess welcomes you!!

--
February 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

alan trimble

So am I hearing correctly that a four board team event (like the scholastic state team) featuring the top four players from each "chess venue" is going to take place? If so...I'm grabbing some popcorn. This could be interesting.  If an event like that ever were coordinated with the state scholastic team event...it would be great for the youngsters to see some high level chess in action.  

February 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahHampton

I can't be on a team yet... I just need to get to a tournament soon... I don't want to go until I have a chance to win 1 game.

February 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

Glad to see Sarah visit Monday Night. 

February 27, 2013 at 11:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

fwalls

Due to the availability of our chess club volunteers , Winchester is now offering free chess club sessions on each and every Monday starting at 4:30 PM (come and go as you please).  Same place: College Park Library Building at 15 Wheeler Ave., Winchester

In addition to free play on Mondays, we are offering optional rated games (USCF membership required, $0.25/game). Half of the these funds will pay for ratings fees (rated monthly if at least 12 matches played in the period). Our club will donate the other half of the funds to the top 3 attending (by number of players at tourneys and Monday Matches) chess clubs of Clark County schools.

--

leader of the Winchester Chess Club

http://www.WinChesster.com

March 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahHampton

Thank you for answering my questions last Monday Steve... I will try to make it out to play next time... hopefully more girls start playing.

March 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KYLion

Sarah, For our tourney in Elizabethtown last Saturday we had 2 female players! Jennifer Ishee from Nashville and our own Amy Nunn!

March 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

Gerald,  That is great.  Amy is a very strong player, and glad that Ishee came up too.  Was Mark with her? 

Sarah, glad to help.  We will look forward to your playing when you can.

March 2, 2013 at 8:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

"Jerry" Weldin

Steve,

Thanks for mistakeing me for Johnny!  I'll take that as a compliment. Could it be that Johnny's new profile photo adds 15 years to his looks?:lol:

--
March 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stephen Dillard

um, ah, sniff, well, I tip my king

March 5, 2013 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.